Study a degree in Hong Kong, undergraduate, graduate, study, degrees

Universities in Hong Kong and study in Hong Kong - International Student Country Guide

Find universities in Hong kong and study in Hong kong, our guide for international students to study abroad. As a place to live, Hong Kong is vibrant and cosmopolitan – often known as one of the places where East meets West, where tradition meets often eye-popping innovation (just look at the skyline). Its fashion, cuisine and education system are respected across the world.Study a degree in Hong Kong

It has a long-established aim to become one of the world's premier education destinations, and with world-class research facilities and respected universities, you should want to study a degree in Hong Kong.

How can you study a degree in Hong Kong?

Hong Kong does not have a huge number of universities, but those it does have are of international quality. There are eight statutory universities in Hong Kong (state-funded, government approved centres), as well as several other institutes and private colleges dedicated to specific fields and qualifications.

The most prominent universities in Hong Kong are:

  • The University of Hong Kong
  • Hong Kong University of Science and Technology
  • Chinese University of Hong Kong
  • Hong Kong Polytechnic University
  • Hong Kong Baptist University
Undergraduate courses in Hong Kong last three of four years, depending on the options you choose.

Courses can be taught in English or Cantonese, and many universities offer crash-courses in Chinese Language to help international students get the most out of their studying time.

Tuition fees

Tuition fees vary between universities, but expect to pay between HK$75,000 and HK$120,000 per year.

Immigration and visas

Once accepted by a Hong Kong university, as an international student you must apply for a student visa/entry permit.

To support your visa, you will need a local sponsor (which can be arranged through your university) as well as a number of documents including completed and signed ID995 A and B forms (which can be downloaded from the Government of Hong Kong website); evidence of financial standing and proof of academic qualifications.

It can take up to six weeks to process a visa or entry permit so make sure you leave enough time to receive yours before you travel. You will also need to renew your visa each year you study, so always remember to do this at least four weeks before your old one expires.

Accommodation and living costs

Whilst studying in Hong Kong, you can choose either to live in University or Private Accommodation.

University Accommodation is normally cheaper, more modern and more convenient than off-campus housing: you can expect to pay HK$5,000-$20,000 per semester on-campus, whereas off-campus will cost you about the same per month.

Rent: Student accommodation in Hong Kong costs between HK$5,000 and HK$20,200 per semester.

For Parents

How safe is Hong Kong?

Hong Kong is classed as safe and secure, however students should always take care to protect their own personal safety in order to avoid becoming victims of crime. They can do this by:

  • Avoiding carrying around large amounts of money
  • Staying in groups, especially at night, and never walking alone
  • Not making valuables obvious
  • Always having a route home planned and never getting into unlicensed taxis
  • Being wary of strangers
  • Being careful of traffic
Students should be aware of pickpockets around tourist attractions and busy areas. The crime rate increases the further north you travel.

Staying in touch

Staying in touch when your child is studying on the other side of the world might seem daunting – but there are ways you can talk regularly that don’t have to involve long distance phone calls and a nasty bill at the end of the month. Here are a few tips:

  • Skype – the free video calling service can be downloaded within seconds, and will allow you to talk face to face anywhere you have an internet connection
  • Blogging – maybe encourage your child to keep a blog of their adventures overseas, so that other families members (such as grandparents) can keep up to date
  • Local sim cards – it is also a good idea for your child to buy a phone with a local pay as you go sim card when they arrive so that they can text and call home without running up a bill

What to do next

Thinking of learning in a foreign country, but you’re not confident about the place where you want to study? Learn more in our country guidelines here. In addition, if you want to get more information on how to study a degree in Hong Kong, sign up to our Free Application Service and we'll get back in touch with you shortly.