What is UCAELI?
Located at the University of Connecticut, ranked among the top 25 public universities in the United States, UCAELI provides students with high quality language instruction to help students achieve personal, academic and professional goals. Our students participate in a rich community of educational, social, and cultural resources to help them transition to their academic programs.
What do classes look like?
UCAELI classes are student-centered and provide a rigorous, but very comfortable, inspiring, and friendly environment for learning the skills you need for academic success. Activities, such as discussions, video making, and group research projects provide opportunities for interaction and active learning.
- 6 levels of English language instruction
- 22 English language instruction hours per week
- small class sizes (10-15 students)
- Individualized support for applying to academic programs at the University of Connecticut
- Access to university classes and professors
- Opportunities to become a part of the community with access to more than 600 UConn student clubs and organizations
- Opportunities to take university classes for credit with help from UCAELI English instructors
Classes are offered year round in Fall/Spring 15-week semesters or 4 and 6-week summer sessions. Students enroll in Communication Skills, Reading Discussion, and Writing courses in the mornings and have a choice of electives in the afternoons. Electives include courses like Pronunciation, TOEFL Preparation, Service Learning, Exploring Academic Interests, and Business English. Advanced level students may also take a UConn course for credit during the afternoons.
Who are our students?
UCAELI students have come from all over the world. They are interested in a wide variety of academic fields, such as Engineering, Computer Science, Art History, Social Work, and Gifted Education. Our students have strong backgrounds in academics and improve their English each day to enter one of the world's finest schools. They are an active community valued by the University of Connecticut for their cultural diversity and dedication to academics.
Receiving a UCAELI Certificate of Proficiency can be used in place of a TOEFL/IELTS score for admission into the University of Connecticut.
The University of Connecticut is located between New York City and Boston. The UConn campus has a variety of shops, restaurants, theaters, and recreation centers, as well as a transportation center. From the transportation center, you can board a bus to Boston or New York City for an exciting weekend away.
UCAELI is accredited by the Commission on English Language Program Accreditation (CEA), an organization that ensures the highest standards in English language education and English USA.
2016 Quick Facts about UConn
- 14 Schools and Colleges: Agriculture, Health & Natural Resources, Business, Dental Medicine, Neag Education, Engineering, Fine Arts, Graduate, Law, Liberal Arts & Sciences, Medicine, Nursing, Pharmacy, Radcliffe Hicks, Social Work
- 108 undergraduate majors
- 79 research and professional practice fields of study at the graduate level
- 6 professional degree programs (J.D., LL.M., M.D., D.M.D., Pharm. D., S.J.D.)
More About UConn
Founded in 1881, the University of Connecticut is one of the top public research universities in the nation, with more than 30,000 students pursuing answers to critical questions in labs, lecture halls, and the community. Knowledge exploration throughout the University's network of campuses is united by a culture of innovation. UConn attracts internationally renowned faculty and the world's brightest students. A tradition of coaching winning athletes makes UConn a standout in Division l sports and fuels our academic spirit. As a vibrant, progressive leader, UConn fosters a diverse and dynamic culture that meets the challenges of a changing global society.