study in Grenoble, universities in Grenoble degree, bachelors
Home | Studying Abroad | Study in europe | Study in France | study in grenoble

Study In Grenoble - Explore Universities in Grenoble

Study in Grenoble, and find the best universities in Grenoble.

Grenoble in southwestern France is known as the ‘Capital of the Alps’ and sits at the foot of the famous mountain range.

It has the largest population of all the mountain region’s cities and is the perfect place to combine undergraduate study with both city and mountain living.

Mountain sports are an important attraction in both summer and winter with 20 large and small ski resorts surrounding the city.

Study in Grenoble?

There are strong options to study a graduate degree in Grenoble. The University of Grenoble is located in the nortwestern part of the city known as the Polygone Scientifique ("Scientific Polygon").

The university is made up of five separate institutions that share the same campus grounds and laboratories:

The city is also home to a campus of the École nationale de l'aviation civile (French civil aviation university). Combined the city’s institutions have more than 60,000 students with 16% coming from overseas.

The city is known as a scientific centre especially in the fields of physics, computer science, and applied mathematics.

Immigration and visas

If you are looking to study for a degree in Grenoble and are an EU citizen you will be accepted onto an undergraduate degree provided you fulfil the following:

  • Are studying in Grenoble for more than three months.
  • Are enrolled at an accredited university or institution.
  • Have proof of sufficient funds to cover your graduate degree in France for its duration.
  • Have health insurance cover.
Non-EU students will need to apply for an extended-stay student visa, with residency permit (VLS-TS).

When a VLS-TS visa is issued, students will be given an official form that they must present to the French office of immigration and integration (OFII).

A VLS-TS holder must, upon arriving in France, send to the OFII by registered mail (return receipt requested):

  • The official form received from the consulate that issued the visa.
  • A copy of passport pages showing the visa holders identity and the stamp indicating entry into France (or into the Schengen area).
You can find out more about visas at Campus France -

Accommodation and living costs

Generally student accommodation in France is considered expensive.

There are two main types of accommodation while studying:

  • University accommodation – such as halls of residence
  • Private accommodation – House and flat rentals
University accommodation is in very short supply, so most students end up living in private accommodation. The number of private student residences is on the increase, making it easier to find student accommodation in France.

CNOUS CROUS (the student social support service) and is usually reserved for government scholarship holders.

Campus France can help you with problems you might have with student housing in France, such as locating and reserving accommodation except for places in Paris.

What to do next

If you would like to find out more about how to study a degree in Grenoble, fill out our Free Application Service and we'll get back in touch.