study in Montpellier, universities in Montpellier degree, bachelors
Home | Studying Abroad | Study in europe | Study in France | study in montpellier

Study In Montpellier - Explore Universities in Montpellier

Study in Montpellier, and find the best universities in Montpellier.

Montpellier is an up-and-coming destination for undergraduate study in France, with it being the fastest growing French city over the past 25 years it has an increasing number of opportunities to offer to international students.

It is now the 8th largest city in France and is the third largest city on the French Mediterranean coast after Nice and Marseille.

On the sunny Mediterranean Sea it is popular holiday destination with many bustling street markets and places of historical interest.

Study in Montpellier?

Montpellier is well respected for providing undergraduate study, with University of Montpellier being one the oldest in the world, with it being founded in 1160.

Today the university is succeeded by a PRES (a university consortium) of three universities:

  1. University of Montpellier 1: medicine, pharmacy, law, sport, business
  2. Montpellier 2 University: sciences
  3. Paul Valéry University, Montpellier III: arts, languages and social sciences
It is planned for these three universities to form one institution in the near future, called the University of Southern France, Montpellier.

The city is also home to grandes écoles (literally in French "higher schools") which are higher education institutions in France that are outside the university framework.  These are also available for undergraduate degrees in Montpellier.

These schools are focused in the area of sciences and engineering:

Immigration and visas

If you are looking to study for an undergraduate degree in Montpellier and are an EU citizen you will be accepted onto a graduate degree provided you fulfil the following:

  • Are studying in Montpellier for more than three months.
  • Are enrolled at an accredited university or institution.
  • Have proof of sufficient funds to cover your graduate degree in France for its duration.
  • Have health insurance cover.
Non-EU students will need to apply for an extended-stay student visa, with residency permit (VLS-TS).
When a VLS-TS visa is issued, students will be given an official form that they must present to the French office of immigration and integration (OFII).

A VLS-TS holder must, upon arriving in France, send to the OFII by registered mail (return receipt requested):

  • The official form received from the consulate that issued the visa.
  • A copy of passport pages showing the visa holders identity and the stamp indicating entry into France (or into the Schengen area).
You can find out more about visas at Campus France -

Accommodation and living costs

Generally student accommodation in France is considered expensive, but there are many available options to help suit your requirements and budget.

There are two main types of accommodation while studying:

  • University accommodation – such as halls of residence
  • Private accommodation – House and flat rentals
University accommodation is in very short supply, so most students end up living in private accommodation. The number of private student residences is on the increase, making it easier to find student accommodation in France.

CNOUS CROUS (the student social support service) and is usually reserved for government scholarship holders.

Campus France can help you with problems you might have with student housing in France, such as locating and reserving accommodation.

What to do next

Do you want to find out more about how to study a degree in Montpellier? Fill out our Free Application Service and we'll be in touch to help you through the process