study in Versailles, universities in Versailles degree, bachelors
Home | Studying Abroad | Study in europe | Study in France | study in versailles

Study In Versailles - Explore Universities in Versailles

Study in Versailles, and find the best universities in Versailles.

Few places have the historic significance of Versailles. For over a century it was the capital of the kingdom of France, before becoming the hub of the French Revolution. It is also famous for being the site on which the treaty that brought an end to World War 1 was signed.

Located in the western suburbs of Paris just 17.1km from the centre, it is a picturesque and wealthy suburb centred about its famous Palace and gardens which were the centre of the ruling-class wealth and decadence that led to revolution.

Study in Versailles?

Versailles has many institutions which are available for undergraduate study:

Graduate degrees in France fall into three main categories:

  • Taught Masters (MAs/MScs/MEng)
  • Research Masters (MRes/ MA by Research)
  • Doctorates and PhDs
Taught Masters are postgraduate courses that follow a similar pattern to undergraduate study, with lectures, seminars and tutorials. You will be expected to research topics yourself and take and independent approach to studying.

Research Masters are often seen as pre-cursor to a PhD. You will research a particular topic independently and focus on improving your research skills to produce a dissertation or final projects.

Masters degrees in France generally last between 1-2 years, with PhDs taking up to four years to complete. 

Immigration and visas

EU citizens are permitted to take an undergraduate degree in France providing they fulfil the following:

  • Are studying in France for more than three months.
  • Are enrolled at an accredited university or institution.
  • Have proof of sufficient funds to cover your graduate degree in France for its duration.
  • Have health insurance cover.
Non-EU students looking for a graduate degree in Paris will need to apply for an extended-stay student visa, with residency permit (VLS-TS).

When a VLS-TS visa is issued, students will be given an official form that they must present to the French office of immigration and integration (OFII).

A VLS-TS holder must, upon arriving in France, send to the OFII by registered mail (return receipt requested):
  • The official form received from the consulate that issued the visa.
  •  A copy of passport pages showing the visa holders identity and the stamp indicating entry into France (or into the Schengen area).

Accommodation and living costs

Generally student accommodation in France is considered expensive.

There are two main types of accommodation while studying:

  • University accommodation – such as halls of residence
  • Private accommodation – House and flat rentals
University accommodation is in very short supply, so most students end up living in private accommodation. The number of private student residences is on the increase, making it easier to find student accommodation in France.

CNOUS CROUS (the student social support service) and is usually reserved for government scholarship holders.

Campus France can help you with problems you might have with student housing in France, such as locating and reserving accommodation except for places in Paris.

What to do next

Do you want to find out more about how to study a degree in Versailles? Fill out our Free Application Service and we'll be in touch to help you through the process