study in York, universities in York degree, bachelors
Home | Studying Abroad | Study in europe | Study in The United Kingdom | study in york

Study In York - Explore Universities in York

Study in York, and find the best universities in York.

York is historically important city in the North of England, famous for being the Roman capital of Britain. The city is small and compact with plenty of historical relics and is close to the countryside of both the Yorkshire Dales and North York Moors.

York is a popular destination with tourists looking to come to a traditional English city and the city is also popular with stude
nts, both international and domestic.

Study in York?

There are two universities in York. The University of York, established in 1963, is one of the top universities in the UK and has an international reputation for the quality of its research. It is also home to the well renowned Hull York Medical School

York St John University
is a smaller and newer institution, with basis in the Anglican Church. It has four faculties: Arts, Health and Life Sciences, Education and Theology and the Business School.

Undergraduate degrees at York normally take between 3-4 years to complete, although this does depend on the subject you choose and the mode of study.

Immigration and visas

EU citizens are allowed to come and study an undergraduate degree in York providing they fulfil the following criteria:

  • Are studying in the UK for more than three months
  • Are enrolled at an accredited university or institution
  • Have proof of sufficient funds to cover your undergraduate degree in the UK for its duration
If you are a non-EU student coming to York to study, you’ll need to apply for a student visa under the tier 4 visa category. In order to qualify, you’ll need to demonstrate the following:

  • Proof of funding to cover an undergraduate course and living costs
  • A confirmation of acceptance to study (CAS) reference from a university with sponsor status
  • Adequate English language skills
You can find out more about visas at the UK Border Agency.

Accommodation and living costs

The University of York has a collegiate system, meaning that its university residences are owned and managed by the separate colleges of the university. If you are offered a room you will live with other students, whilst having your bills and other amenities included in the rent that you pay the university.

You may choose to live off campus in privately rented accommodation, either with friends or independently. You might choose to live in a house or a flat, where you will be responsible for paying things such as the electricity and other bills.

What to do next

If you would like to find out more about how to study a degree in York, fill out our Free Application Service and we'll get back in touch.