study in Pennsylvania, universities in Pennsylvania degree, bachelors
Home | Studying Abroad | Study in north america | Study in The United States | study in pennsylvania

Study In Pennsylvania - Explore Universities in Pennsylvania

Study in Pennsylvania, and find the best universities in Pennsylvania.

Pennsylvania is a state in the northeast of the United States, close to the Canadian border and New York. It is found in the Great Lakes region, and its landscape includes part of the Appalachian Mountains.  

Pennsylvania’s largest and probably most famous city is Philadelphia, although its capital is the lesser known Harrisburg, over a hundred miles away. Philadelphia, possibly best known for its Philly cheesesteak, it is also home to a rich mixture of ethnicities, the largest urban park in the world (Fairmont Park) and one of the most iconic symbols of American independence, the Liberty Bell. It is here that the Founding Fathers signed both the Declaration of Independence and the United States Constitution.

Today, Pennsylvania is one of the most populous states in the country, and is home to the world renowned Pennsylvania State University, a large number of Fortune 500 companies, and is also a thriving research centre. A good choice, then, for anyone looking to take up an undergraduate course overseas.

Study in Pennsylvania?

Most of the public universities in Pennsylvania fall under the Pennsylvania State System of Higher Education, although there are also a number of private universities throughout the state that provide undergraduate courses. Some of the universities in Pennsylvania where you can study a degree include:

All of the above are highly performing research universities; the University of Pennsylvania is part of the Ivy League, a group of world leading institutions in the northeast of the US.

The state also has a number of small, private speciality art institutions. They include:

  • University of the Arts
  • Moore College of Art and Design
  • Pennsylvania Academy of Fine Arts
  • Pennsylvania College of Art and Design
As with the majority of undergraduate courses in the United States, Pennsylvania’s universities and colleges provide undergraduate degrees that last four years.

Immigration and visas

Before travelling to the USA to study in Pennsylvania, you will need to apply for a non-immigrant visa.

The most common kind of student visa is the F-1 visa, which entitles the holder to study at any US accredited college or university.

To apply for a student visa for an undergraduate degree in Pennsylvania, you will need to fill out an application form (found on the US Embassy website) and send appropriate documentation, such as evidence of financial standing and proof of university acceptance and academic qualifications, as well as possibly attending a visa interview at the US Embassy in your home country.

Accommodation and living costs

Whilst studying abroad on undergraduate courses many students choose to live on their university campus in halls of residence.

Living in halls allows you to meet fellow students and settle into campus life. Many halls include gym facilities and recreational areas - you should check with your university whether they offer this type of accommodation for those on postgraduate courses.

In order to keep their independence, some students on undergraduate courses choose to live in private accommodation – where paying for utilities and bills will be your own responsibility. Your chosen university should be able to advise you on how to rent a private flat.

In Philadelphia most students who choose to live off campus reside around the Center City/ South Street/ Old City area.

What to do next

Do you want to find out more about how to study a degree in Pennsylvania? Fill out our Free Application Service and we'll be in touch to help you through the process