William Paterson University international student admissions & applications
William Paterson University is a public, residential institution that offers an outstanding and affordable education to a diverse student body of more than 11,000 through our 250 baccalaureate, master’s and doctoral programs. The University challenges students to high levels of intellectual and professional accomplishment and personal growth in preparation for careers, advanced studies, and productive citizenship. As a mid-size university, we are large enough to offer extensive learning resources and impressive facilities, yet small enough to provide personalized attention and small classes that average just 19 students. With our highly recognized faculty and campus-wide support system, we help our students develop and strengthen the skills they need to achieve success.
William Paterson University’s more than 400 full-time faculty, including 41 recipients of the prestigious Fulbright Fellowship, provide an opportunity for students to work with professors on research, internships, performances, and other creative work. The faculty includes poets, writers, television and radio broadcasters, scientists, entrepreneurs, historians, artists, musicians and noted authors in their field.
Location and Campus Life
Set on 370 wooded acres in Wayne, New Jersey, the campus is just three miles from the historic Great Falls in Paterson yet just 20 miles from the rich cultural, artistic and commercial life of New York City.
“Pioneer spirit” is evident in the University's 13 intercollegiate sports teams, six for men and seven for women, and numerous NCAA Division III post-season tournament appearances. Club sports include cheerleading, dance, equestrian, track, and the nationally ranked ice hockey, bowling, and rugby teams. Campus facilities include a competition-size indoor pool, outdoor tennis courts, natural-grass soccer and softball fields, 3,000-seat Recreation Center, baseball stadium, and lighted A-Turf football/field hockey complex.
Academics, Accreditations and Rankings
William Paterson University offers a wide range of undergraduate and graduate academic programs through its five colleges: Arts and Communication, Cotsakos College of Business, Education, Humanities and Social Sciences, and Science and Health. Certification is available in early childhood, elementary, secondary, and special education. There are also pre-professional programs in law, medicine (which includes dentistry, optometry, podiatry, and veterinary science), pharmacy, physical therapy, and speech-language pathology.
The University ranked among the best programs in the country for professional sales and financial planning, and earned recognition for the diversity focus of its teacher preparation programs. The University continues to be accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education through 2021. The College of Education has been reaccredited by the National Council for the Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE) through 2019. William Paterson’s Cotsakos College of Business programs are accredited by the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB) International, representing the highest standard of achievement for business schools worldwide.
Recent ranking and accolades include:
- William Paterson University is named among the 2015 list of Top University Sales Programs in the nation for its Russ Berrie Institute for Professional Sales in the Cotsakos College of Business. William Paterson has been included in the Sales Education Foundation's annual list of top sales programs since it began the list in 2007.
- William Paterson University's student-run radio station, WP 88.7 FM, was a finalist for the Best College/University Station (with more than 10,000 enrollment) in the 2014 Intercollegiate Broadcasting System (IBS) awards. This year the station also won first place for Best Play-By-Play for coverage of basketball and was a finalist for Best Sports Talk Show. In addition, WPSC 88.7 FM was also among the Top 25 Nationwide for the MTVu Woodie for College Radio Station of the Year 2011.
- William Paterson University’s Cotsakos College of Business is included in the 2015 edition of Princeton Review's, The Best 295 Business Schools. This marks the sixth consecutive year the Cotsakos College of Business has been featured in the book, which is well known for its college rankings based on how students rate their schools.
- University's Financial Planning Program in the Cotsakos College of Business is named one of the top schools for financial planners by Financial Planning Magazine for third consecutive year. William Paterson was named one of the nation’s top ten schools for financial planners in 2011, and again in 2012, when they expanded their list to the top 25. Once again, in 2013, William Paterson was on the magazine's list of "30 Great Schools" for future financial planners.
- William Paterson University has been honored as a “Military Friendly School” by militaryfriendlyschools.com and is included in their 2011, 2012, 2013, and 2014 Guide to Military Friendly Schools.
- William Paterson University solar panel facility ranks among the top ten largest installations at higher education institutions in the United States, according to a report released by the Association for Sustainability in Higher Education (AASHE) in October 2011.
- William Paterson University’s College of Education received the Best Practice Award in Support of Global Diversity for 2011 from the American Association of Colleges for Teacher Education (AACTE). The award honors the integration of diversity awareness into educator preparation and was presented to representatives of the program at AACTE’s 63rd Annual Meeting and Exhibits in San Diego.
Costs and Applying
William Paterson University is committed to providing an exceptional and affordable public higher education. While your college education is a crucial investment in your future, we work on your behalf to ensure that your education is as flexible and affordable as possible.
The University has held tuition increases to 2 percent in each of the last three years to keep a William Paterson University education within your reach.
Our 2014-15 Annual Estimated Expenses
|Full-time Student Tuition and Fee Rate
|Total Annual Tuition, Fees, Room, and Board
*These costs will vary by student depending on personal preferences.
WP maintains a generous merit scholarship program for incoming freshman and transfer applicants. Each year close to 2,000 scholarships are awarded totaling over $7 million. In most cases, all accepted students are automatically considered for scholarships; no separate scholarship application is required. Additional scholarship opportunities for incoming and currently enrolled students are also available through the William Paterson University Foundation and the Alumni Association.
Furthermore, our Fine Arts and Music Performance students may be considered for talent-based awards.
Outside scholarships, which students research and apply for on their own, are also accepted.
Please complete the form on the right and we will soon be in touch with you to discuss your future at William Paterson. Let us help you find your Will. Power.